Web Application development platforms such as Angular and ReactJS are gaining momentum lately, but do they really deserve it? In this blog post we are...
Django Vs Laravel – Which Backend Framework is Better for Development and Why?
Have you ever seen the famous event “The running of the bulls” in Spain where a small group of cattle is let loose and all them run in one direction? Our world of humans seems no different irrespective of the field, people are found just running and today’s business-centric world is no exception. Everyone is striving hard to stand out via a strong online presence which is only possible when you happen to pick the right web development framework, i.e. Django or Laravel.
Table of Content
What are Web Development Frameworks?
In simple words, web development frameworks are a set of different tools and libraries used to make things simpler and better, in short, they are meant to facilitate development. Take any web development procedure into account, most of the laravel development companies consider that a framework is very crucial and it is a sensible approach for building rich and interactive web applications.
Technically speaking, a web app consisting of server-side (backend) is what happens on the server/database and client-side (frontend) frameworks are what happens in the browser. Even though they have a fair share of differences, both of them matter a lot. It’s like you are dealing with two sides of a coin, cannot be ignored at any rate. Now let us get acquainted with what they are.
React, Vue.js, Angular, Ember, backbone is to name a few when considering front-end frameworks for web development. For anyone who doesn’t work with such concepts might find it a bit challenging to wrap their head around. There was a time when websites with the help of HTML and CSS tend to remain in a simple and static format.
- Languages & frameworks – A wide range of languages and frameworks are involved in building backends for your laravel development project.
- Web Servers – As the name implies they are mere computer programs which end up storing, preparing and conveying web pages for the end-users.
- Database Management Systems – Here developers can have an information base, control, decipher and speak to information.
- Testers- Almost all the laravel developers consider speed testers like Google PageSpeed Insights and Full-page testers as page load speed plays a very crucial role in increasing the site traffic.
It’s time to meet the most popular backend frameworks Django and Laravel; know about their advantages and disadvantages and find out which one is more suitable for your upcoming web application development project.
Laravel was created by Tayler Otwell in the year 2011. Furthermore, today, it has gotten one of the most famous web advancement frameworks which are ideal to construct content management systems. 9GAG, Toyota Hall Of Fame, UNION are the few names which have made the most of the Laravel development technology.
Pros of Laravel Framework
- Learning Curve – It may quite interest you to know that Laravel is very easy to learn. You know why? This is one such framework where you will find a plethora of developers and Laravel development companies who can assist you when in trouble. Also, the documentation is way simpler even for the beginners to learn and get started.
- Artisan – Seamlessly developing command-line applications is now possible, all because of the Artisan CLI. For those Laravel developers who have just begun their journey and don’t know anything about it; Artizan CLI incorporates a bunch of numerous advanced tools so that they can perform tasks and migrations in a hassle-free manner.
- Latest PHP Features – Last but not the least, it always tends to remain up-to-date. This means all the latest bunch of features can be easily found in Laravel framework. Interfaces, Namespaces, Anonymous, functions, overloading are to name a few in Laravel 5.
Cons of Laravel Framework
When there is a good side, you will always find a bad side. Yes, with all these amazing looking features and functionalities, Laravel development does tend to have a fair share of controversies as well:
- The payment feature is a huge failure here! Also, there are ample security holes.
- Migration and up-gradation are not seamless; in the worst scenario, it might break your web application.
- Does it offer 100% mobile richness? A Big-fat “NO”!
This one is an interesting Python-based framework which is mainly used for rapid web development. By following model-template-view architecture, designing websites or web applications which are highly functional and aesthetically pleasing becomes easy. Much like Laravel development, Django has a high community of developers.
Pros of Django Framework
- Speed – Apart from being simple, the Django framework is fast enough in comparison to others. One of the most interesting aspects here is that without starting from the scratch you can use a certain set of features for all projects. Due to fast nature, the app can be developed on time or maybe before that.
- Security – All developers need a secure platform to proceed with their development task. In this case, if you happen to face issues like clickjacking, SQL injection, then Django is the ultimate choice in regards to security.
- Scalability – Django is reasonable for a web advancement venture from little to enormous assets. Additionally, it is autonomous. (i.e.,) it is a cross-stage structure that chips away at different stages like Mac, Linux, or PC.
Cons of Django Framework
- Use of routing pattern specifying its URL
- It’s too monolithic
- Components often get deployed together
Which is Better? Django or Laravel
|About it||Launched in the year 2005, Django was built to develop complex websites and web applications. It was written in Python.||Tayler Otwell created Laravel incorporates a bunch of built-in features used to develop simply as well as complex websites and apps.|
|Maintained by||Well-maintained by Django software foundation.||Well-maintained by developers and community under MIT license.|
|Architecture||Built with Python, it comprises a Model-view-template pattern.||Built with PHP, it comprises a Model-view-control pattern.|
|Scalability||Supports High-scalability||Supports high-scalability|
|Security||For enterprise-level applications, it is highly secure.||It comprises basic security features.|
|Speed||In comparison to Laravel, Django is pretty fast.||Vice-versa, Laravel is extremely slow.|
|Development||It can be a little problem while developing small websites.||Both simple and complex websites can be created using Laravel development.|
The Competitive Edge – Django Vs Laravel
Each framework is of a kind and Laravel and Django are no exceptions. Like I said before routing can be a little bit problematic for Django but not for Laravel whereas Django, on the other hand, is highly secured when it comes to developing enterprise-level applications. Furthermore, let’s delve into a detailed comparison of Django and Laravel development considering various parameters. Before that, there is a piece of good news – you may find a wide range of Laravel development companies who tend to offer Django services as well.
Basic routing code is written in both languages. Most of you guys may find Django’s code seems rather complex whereas laravel’s code quite intuitive. This is because in its routing process regular expressions are being used.
In the year 2018, Laravel and Django were tested and Python won overwhelmingly as it was a fast language. The testing was done straight on for JSON serialization. Django performed 69k JSON reactions/second while Laravel was at a humble 8k reactions/second. So now you exactly know which one is better when it comes to performance.
With constant attacks and vulnerabilities being abused constantly, the web turns out to be a huge hostile atmosphere. And maybe this is why frameworks are created in such a way that they can take adequate measures against SQL infusions or cross-web page scripting such attacks. Django pays close attention to security very and assists developers and helps engineers with dodging the typical mistakes of web improvement and executing some security best measures. While Laravel does moreover cover the fundamentals of security it doesn’t fulfil Django’s security level. So now you know exactly why NASA uses Django and not laravel for their site.
Not all the functionalities that a back-end framework has to bring to the table might interest you, especially while building a client-rich application with a RESTful API. This is one of the advantages of Laravel is that it accompanies work in help for API working, as the questions return JSON as a matter of course. You’d need to utilize a library to make things work for you as Django doesn’t accompany this underlying element.
The learning curve can be a bit mythical since it depends on the individual. For example, in the event that you are comfortable with Python’s syntax to a decent measure, at that point look no further than Django. It should be developer-friendly as well as easy to learn.
While Laravel then again is said to have a steep learning curve to absorb information including devices like Laracasts and the great documentation, it ought not to be hard at all to get the right framework and ace the PHP language directly along.
This is it! It’s time to conclude the post by saying both Laravel development and Django are unique in their own way. And both of them tend to support big websites, which means choosing either of them, there is no wrong choice to make. Everything relies upon the software prerequisites you have and your plan. Likewise, back-end systems are very similar at their core, so it’s not all that difficult to change starting with one structure then onto the next on the off chance that you want to work with another system.
Now as an entrepreneur there are times when you feel these technologies to be more too technical and daunting. During these scenarios, hiring a reliable laravel development company that offers Django services as well is the wise decision to make. Hope you enjoyed reading the post! Keep watching the space for more information and updates.