Yii Framework vs Laravel
How a website functions? Have you never thought of being curious about it? What’s going on behind the scenes “the user interface” you interact with. Well, in the tech space, the more you know, the better! Speaking further about the backend development, you will come across a wide range of frameworks such as CodeIgniter, Phalcon, Zend, Symfony, CakePHP, Laravel and Yii. The following post will help you evolve in regards to your perception of PHP development space, yii framework vs laravel – a detailed comparison.
Also, I would like to add a bit, that using each of these frameworks makes a job of a yii or a laravel development service provider a lot easier. Right from speeding things up to making it way simpler, offering high-end security, automating basic development tasks, etc. are core benefits of using such frameworks.
- PHP Framework is the Heart of the Web Arena
- Meet the Best PHP Frameworks – Yii and Laravel
- Laravel vs Yii Development Process: Head to Head Comparison
1. PHP Framework is the Heart of the Web Arena
With the growing trend of digitalization! It has become extremely crucial to grab the attention of potential users but to create a brand image, you need to invest in web development. Well, I am sure you won’t just go on my saying!
Several studies show that people will research the company on the web before making a purchase decision. In today’s time, a user will visit the company website to understand brand authenticity and credibility. So it no longer matters what type of business you are running, it matters how strong is your digital presence.
- 75% of customers judge the credibility of the business through the website design.
- 79% of shoppers expect your website load time should be less than 2 seconds.
It doesn’t matter what type of web app you are trying to construct but what’s more crucial is how crucial its performance is. All you have to do is choose the right framework. PHP and .Net are the two Gods of the web development space. So without any further ado, let’s begin! Both PHP and .Net are dominating the web. But PHP framework is here to stay for a big reason. Here are those!
1. Easy to Learn
PHP has been one of the first real programming languages. In comparison to .Net, PHP frameworks are way easy to learn, anyone write, fix, refactor and deploy it.
In fact, PHP developers are getting better job offers elsewhere and move on, and suddenly the software they wrote is useless to you: the instant it throws up an error, you may as well throw it out. That’s an extreme example, but the less accessible a language is, the more issues you’re going to have trying to find people who can write it. This is one of the reasons that PHP is still dominating the web- because it’s common, it’s relatively cheap, and that means business owners tend to opt for it over more powerful (but expensive) programming languages, even if they’d be a better choice.
2. Incredible Ecosystem
With the version PHP5, developers had to backdoor a lot of functionality into it with specialist libraries. Especially to developers migrating from more robust languages like Ruby, PHP 5 seemed like a huge step backwards.
And with the launch of PHP7, things have completely changed! It has better error handling, it has native 64-bit support, it has better type descriptions and now allows for anonymous classes, and of course, it is significantly faster.
Being an open-source programming language, you no longer need to bear any additional development costs other than hiring a reputable PHP development company. Moreover, upgrading and updating a web app can be far simple and free with a PHP framework. This is why most businesses prefer PHP for web app development comparatively. NET.
Whereas .NET is a baby of Microsoft. This means there is a license charge attached to it. Moreover, all the third-party tools of .NET have attached license cost that will immediately uplift the development budget cost.
2. Meet the Best PHP Frameworks – Yii and Laravel
It may quite interest you to know that the PHP framework has played a crucial role in the web development space. Today, more than 80% of all the websites including the big fish like Facebook, Wiki, WordPress, and Pinterest are created using PHP. So where are you? Well, before you proceed further, it is very important to get acquainted with multiple PHP frameworks but for now, we have – Laravel and Yii.
The Open-source web framework is quite popular for its server-side handling of routing, HTML authentication, templating, and more. Written in PHP and based on Symfony, Laravel provides reusable PHP components/libraries. Since it is a server-side-based framework, with Laravel, you can build applications with pre-defined architectures, customized backend logic, web portal, templates, and full-stack apps as well as manage SaaS products. Also, one can improve Laravel performance optimization by following just a couple of steps.
Saas-based web applications, on-demand streaming web apps, e-learning web apps, Stock trading based web management systems, Web apps with rewards and recognition features, Multilingual CMS systems, Self-hosted website-performance monitoring apps are some of the best use cases of Laravel.
Its benefits include:
1. Faster time-to-market – PHP framework Laravel works on a modular basis. It implies that with Laravel, there are a lot of pre-built functions and structures that work on the latest PHP principles to build responsive web applications in a time-efficient manner. This speeds up the development process of web applications, making Laravel quick and intuitive. With the Laravel framework, there is no need to spend long hours and weeks writing individual lines of code. Therefore, it speeds up application delivery while also proves to be economical.
2. Better Authentication – Laravel as a framework extremely simple and easy to implement a complete authentication system — Login, Registration, and Password Reset. You will be surprised to witness that Laravel does all this with the help of a single command. It also provides a simple way to organize authorization logic and control access to resources.
3. MVC Architecture – MVC architecture or MVC framework comes up with built-in functionalities that developers can use at their best while building your web app. Apart from this, MVC architecture provides better documentation, improved performance, and multiple built-in functionalities compared to other PHP frameworks.
Unlike Laravel, Yii is a high-performance, component-based PHP framework for developing large-scale Web applications rapidly. It enables maximum reusability in Web programming and can significantly accelerate your Web application development process. Being an acronym for Yes it is! Yii turns out to be fast, secure and professional!
Let us look at some of the crucial benefits offered by open-source, MVC based, object-oriented, light-weighted PHP framework. This means Yii is useful for web applications with high traffic flow, such as eCommerce sites and forums.
Its benefits include:
1. Short Development Cycle – Yii offers an exceptional range of tools to automate several repetitive tasks in projects. This enables developers to focus their time and attention on core business requirements and business logic. One such tool is called “Gii”. Gii helps in automatic code template creation for Models, Controllers, Forms, Modules, and Extensions. Gii is completely configurable offering developers the complete flexibility they need in creating scalable and customized code.
2. Secure – While developing applications one must know that Yii offers a wide range of security mechanisms such as XSS, Cross-Site Scripting and also CSRF (Cross-Site Request Forgery) prevention.
When a web application collects data from its users, via forums or any other forms. Then there are fair chances of malicious code being injected into the posts. Yii offers a very useful component known as the CHtmlPurifier which removes the harmful data and ensures that the filtered content follows the standards.
The CSRF in Yii occurs when a harmful website causes a user’s browser to perform an unwanted action on a trusted site.
Moreover, Yii offers a cookie validation technique that prevents cookies from being modified. It basically does HMAC (Hash-based message authentication code) check for the cookie values if they are enabled.
3. Comunity Support- Much like Laravel even Yii offers great community support. You might come across various forums and discussion groups, live chat, news, and hall of fame. More or less, there is a feature of adding badges wherein; developers can earn badges by meeting certain set criteria.
3. Yii Framework vs Laravel: Head to Head Comparison
Now it’s time for the game-changer, i.e. yii framework vs laravel. Like I said developing web applications may seem a bit easy but the decision-making process in regards to the best PHP framework could be really scary and daunting at the same time. So we have covered what PHP’s Laravel and Yii are all about and now its time to dive into the details – Laravel vs Yii.
A detailed Comparision is about to begin!
1. Project Setup
Both the frameworks can be set up with the help of a composer, a PHP package manager. Once you have downloaded it, laravel developers can easily built-in a web server and a working website sample. The high-performance framework also has a simple helper to speed up the installation with a standalone command-line tool.
Whereas when you are setting up a Yii framework project, You get an advanced template deployed in your environment. It has a separate backend and frontend that you can use for developing the admin area and a user-facing site, for example.
Laravel installed a much simpler “example” project – a simple blog. And while comparing yii framework vs laravel, laravel seems to have a better structure.
2. Security Patches
Security is one of the major concerns, there are no two ways about it! While building web applications one shouldn’t ignore the fact of losing critical data. Fortunately, unlike other frameworks, these two comprise of different mechanisms for password protection, authentication, shield from Cross-Site Scripting, SQL injections, Cross-site Request Forgery, etc.
The notable security features in Yii include Role-based access control, feature-rich access control filter, and authorization extensions like OAuth, OpenID, or OAuth 2, etc. And Laravel on the other hand, include features such as role-based access controls, ACL plugins, and access control filters. Laravel lacks off-the-shelf access control tools; it doesn’t mean Laravel is not up to the mark in terms of security features. You can solve this issue with the help of its countless extensions.
One of the key features of this web-based interface is performance. Now the performance of any application depends on real-time when it actually works with some real stuff/confidential or critical data. You see web applications aren’t just judged on the basis of performance but it does play a significant role.
Speaking of which, when you are looking forward to creating the best coding high-performance application, Yii quite stands out from the crowd especially among other best frameworks of PHP. Laravel on the other hand turns out to be comparatively slow. However, you may come across several valuable resources and information regarding the full-stack framework on its official website. Go through them, it might help in speeding up performance and help you create complex web applications by conducting swift software development.
4. Community & Resources
Both of these frameworks comprise millions of supporters all across the globe and their number is increasing every day. However, the number of developers using Laravel is bigger than that of Yii. Developers prefer a framework, where the issues were addressed promptly and solutions are located quickly, which attracts more development team to Laravel. On the other hand, Yii is easier to start with and is accessible to everyone.
5. Generic Comparison
This is the last point of Yii framework vs Laravel. Laravel being an open source framework is used when an application requires sophisticated syntax. It makes it easier to authenticate, route, create sessions and caching. In fact, it is believed that Laravel is a combination of all PHP frameworks. It provides many reliable applications like Superb IoC, convenient migration system and Integrated system for module testing. On the other hand, Yii is a high-performance PHP framework that can be used for the fast development of all modern applications. Yii uses MVC architecture and has a simple code. It provides a full-stack framework that has a query builder, NoSQL databases, RESTful API and many other features.
Both Laravel vs Yii frameworks can be used in full-stack development. So I hope you exactly know the top key differences of these techs – Yii framework vs Laravel. Overall, Laravel is quite popular but Yii is not lagging behind when it comes to creating solutions in a robust environment and great security. So the final answer is it depends on your needs and requirements.