Gutenberg is one of the trending topics nowadays in the WordPress Development world and depending on how connected you are with WordPress community you may...
15 Best PHP Editors for Web Developers [Free and Paid]
PHP is one of the most popular scripting languages that enable programmers to write high-quality code. To work with PHP, developers use various PHP code editors. All these PHP editors might look the same at a glance but they come with unique features and optimal use cases. Therefore, which one to choose for the next project depends on the programming requirements, workflows, and preferences. In this blog, our India based PHP developers will explore the top PHP editors that developer can use to edit PHP codes and create scalable and robust PHP applications.
Table of Content
- What is a PHP Editor?
- Top 10 Free PHP Editors for Web Developers
1. What is a PHP Editor?
When it comes to editing PHP code, anyone can edit its file using a basic or advanced text editor like Notepad or Notepad++. But that doesn’t mean it is an easy task to do. The main issue with this is that the source code files are difficult to read when the basic PHP editor doesn’t highlight the syntax and makes people misunderstand the code structure. When the code is highlighted, you can easily see the code structures like parameters, variables, and keywords as they are in different fonts and colors.
When the code readability is low it doesn’t only lead to errors but also slows down the programmer as they might have to spend more time in going through the blog and figuring out what to do next. Therefore, to edit the PHP code files effectively, the majority of PHP developers in India and around the globe prefer tools that can highlight the PHP syntax as per its true meaning.
One of the best features of these online PHP editors is to highlight the syntax, other than that they also provide many useful features. So, the best PHP editors have multiple functionalities that can help the PHP web app developers to write and edit the code and create a perfect structure of the project with less errors.
2. Top 15 PHP IDE and Editors
Some of the most popular premium and PHP IDEs and Code Editors are:
1. Visual Studio Code
It is an open-source PHP editor developed by Microsoft which supports in debug code, embedded Git control, syntax highlighting, intelligent code completion, snippets, and code refactoring to run on all platforms be it Windows, Linux, or Mac OS. The developers can change the editor’s theme, keyboard shortcuts, and highly customizable preferences.
Features of Visual Studio Code
- Visual Studio Code enables auto-completing, syntax highlighting, code validation, and navigation
- Color theme picker.
- Built-in Emmet support.
- Smart code completion
- Built-in web server integration of Git and GitHub.
- Integrated terminal.
- Live share
2. NetBeans IDE
Features of NetBeans IDE
- NetBeans IDE can easily see the PHP class structure.
- Automatically completes the brackets of the code.
- Highlights PHP keywords and variables.
- Enables formatting a piece of code with the use of a keyboard shortcut.
- Offers ready-to-made templates for creating the code script.
- Provides parameter hints.
3. Sublime Text
It is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup, and prose for a slick user interface with extraordinary features and amazing performance. This rapid PHP editor is a proprietary cross-platform source code editor with a Python API and supports many programming languages. The web developers can also add markup languages and functions which can be added with the help of plugins either community-built or maintained under free-software licenses.
Features of Sublime Text
- Sublime Text offers menus, customizable snippets, key binding, and macros.
- Extensible through plugins.
- Command palette.
- Supports multiple languages
- Offers advanced editing functions like multiple selections, split view, auto-completion, document map, and more.
- Comes with a built-in package manager.
4. Eclipse PDT
Eclipse is the most popular and widely used commercial PHP IDE which also has an open-source PHP development kit. Eclipse is regarded as the best PHP editor to run large-scale projects, but it also requires installing JAVA for getting work done. It is a cross-platform IDE that allows running PHP code on multiple platforms like Windows, Linux and Mac OS.
Features of Eclipse PDT
- This best PHP IDE offers a ready-made code template.
- Supports code refactoring
- Automatically validates syntax
- Can work on Windows, Linux and Mac OS.
- Enables managing the project remotely
It is an open-source PHP source code editor which runs on all platforms by providing support for plug-ins written in Node.js and GitControl. Atom is a desktop application built using web technologies that extend packages including free software licenses. It is based on a framework named Electron that enables cross-platform desktop applications using Chromium and Node.js.
Features of Atom
- Offers customizable UI with more than 3,000 themes
- Advanced PHP tool
- Syntax highlighting
- Smart autocompletion
- Integrated package manager
- Real-time code collaboration
- Easy-to-access command palette
It is a free and open-source PHP code editor supporting multiple programming languages, licensed by GPL, and running in the MS Windows environment. Notepad++ is based on a powerful editing component called Scintilla, written in C++ language, and utilizes pure Win32 API and STL to ensure a higher execution speed and smaller program size.
Features of Notepad++
- Notepad++ enables zooming in and out of the screen.
- GUI is customizable with this commercial code editor.
- Possible macro recording and playback.
Features of Brackets
- Horizontal and vertical split view
- Inline Editing and Auto Completion
- Lightweight and Robust
- Support for CSS pre processors
- Custom themes
- Live preview with the use of real-time connection
8. Aptana Studio PHP Editor
Developed by Aptana Inc, it is a leading open-source HTML code editor which also supports PHP Framework. It is also developed on the Eclipse platform as many people are not aware of it. It comes with in-built support for Smarty PHP template engine and Debugger exclusively for PHP developers that are considered very stable as well as powerful and supports all the operating systems like Linux, Windows, and Mac OS.
Features of Aptana Studio PHP Editor
- Aptana comes with annotations for syntax error
- Supports multiple programming languages
- Supports CSS and DOM
- Comes with a built-in PHP Server
- Auto Indexing and Code Formatting
- Supports PHP Debugger
This PHP code editor is easily accessible from CodeLobster Software and also maintains the Windows operating system. The code editor installs the debugger automatically and helps to configure it by having the ability to deploy projects on your local web server or remote server by FTP. The web developers can use the plug-ins to operate with famous CMS and frameworks like CakePHP, Joomla, WordPress, Drupal, Smarty, Jquery, Symfony, CodeIgniter, and Yii.
Features of Codelobster
- Auto completion for different methods of Magento web development
- Tooltips for Magento context, methodologies, and dynamic help.
- Higher capacity to create projects automatedly
10. PHP Designer
Features of PHP Designer
- PHP Designer offers all-in-one web editing features.
- Helps in boosting productivity.
- Easy to Understand and Use
11. RJ TextED
Rickard Johansson’s RJ TextEd is a one-man endeavor and a very remarkable one. It is a feature-rich source code editor designed primarily for web development on Windows operating systems. While the website for RJ TextEd appears to be rather simple, this is a text editor with a slew of fascinating features.
Features of RJ TextED:
- HTML and CSS wizards
- browser preview for HTML files
- theme manager with pre-designed themes
- built-in project manager
- regular expression creator
- macro manager
- FTP/SFTP client with syncing
- Editing features include side-by-side file comparisons, sophisticated sorting, code folding, and auto-completion.
12. Novi HTML Visual Editor
Novi Builder is a real-time visual HTML editor that enables you to manage your content properly.
Platform(s): Chrome 50+ or Safari 10+
Supported languages: HTML, CSS, and PHP
Price: 16 USD
Features include a drag-and-drop visual builder, a powerful text editor, a code editor, and an easy context menu. You can use Visual Builder to construct lead-generation landing sites, sell your templates, and create multipage pages by switching and duplicating existing pieces.
13. Rapid PHP Editor
Rapid PHP Editor is a paid-for code editor for Windows OS. While the term ‘PHP’ is contained in its name, it is not limited to PHP editing; it may also be used to edit other file formats. Rapid PHP Editor is a subset of a product line that includes the same editor with incremental enhancements.
The primary motivation for this configuration is to keep the editor as light as possible. For example, if you simply want HTML and CSS support, you can use Rapid CSS Editor; but, if you also require PHP support, you may use Rapid PHP Editor, which is effectively the same application with additional features.
Features of Rapid PHP Editor:
- Detailed Customization Options
- Built-In Html/CSS Validator
- Preview Of Php Files (Using Your Local Web Server)
- Real-Time Php Syntax Checker
- Multi-Browser Preview
- Php Framework Support (WordPress, Laravel, Cakephp, Codeigniter, Symfony, Yii, Nette, Prado)
- Built-In Php Debugger (Xdebug) And Php Beautifier
- Support For The Smarty Template Engine
- Svn- And Git-Integration
- Can Save Files Directly Via FTP/STFP/FTPS
- Extensible Via Plugins
14. Komodo IDE
The Komodo IDE is a component of the ActiveState Platform, a collection of sophisticated development tools for open source programming languages. It is a cross-platform integrated development environment (IDE) that incorporates PHP support (besides other languages). Komodo IDE is an enhanced version of the Komodo Edit source code editor; it includes all of Komodo Edit’s capabilities, plus many more, such as live previewing, unit testing, dependency detection, and Chrome debugging.
Features of Komodo IDE:
- Auto-completion, multiple choices, a minimap, a change tracker, and call tips are just some of the sophisticated editing capabilities available.
- Refactoring, code browser, visual debugging, regular expression toolkit, database explorer, and HTTP inspector are just some of the features available.
- Docker And Vagrant Integration
- Supports Many Version Control Systems (Git, Subversion, Mercurial, Cvs, Perforce, And Bazaar)
- Onboarding And Project Wizards
- Dom Viewer
- Real-Time Collaboration
- Sharing Via Slack
- Built-In Tutorials
CodeLite is a free and open-source integrated development environment (IDE) primarily for the C++ programming language, although it also supports PHP and Node.js (as pre-installed plugins). Although it is not the most powerful IDE available, it is free and has all of the essential IDE features for PHP including project and workspace management, integrated debugger (Xdebug), and panes for multiple views, task management, code completion, and project execution.
Features of CodeLite:
- Customizable Design With Many Themes To Choose From
- Powerful Find And Replace And Go-To Functionality
- Php Linting, Refactoring, And Debugging
- Php Class Wizard
- Sftp Support With An Ssh Account Manager
- Different Tools For Both Files And Folders
As seen in this guide, there are many PHP editors and IDEs in the market and we have listed some of the best here. These best open-source code editors by PHP developers enable editing of the PHP files with ease. If you are a beginner you can start working on editors like Notepad++ or Sublime Text and once you get a grip on it or have basic knowledge about the PHP code structures, you can start working on NetBeans IDE, Atom, Brackets, and more.
All these code editors can make it much easier by highlighting the syntax, offering customized features, and helping boost the productivity of the PHP web development process.
Hope you find out the best PHP IDE and code editor for your projects. Happy Coding.
1. What is a PHP IDE?
A PHP IDE is nothing but a simple text editor tool that enables PHP developers to write and edit computer programs and source code. An IDE helps PHP app developers develop various in-built routines and elements. Basically, PHP IDE offers an environment that can make it easy to create, edit, run and debug the PHP source code.
2. Which Code Editor is best for WordPress?
Some of the best code editors for WordPress are –
- Sublime Text
3. Which is the Best Code Editor for Magento development?
The best code editor that the developers can use for Magento development is PHPStorm. It is one of the renowned cross-platform IDEs used for the PHP language.
4. How to Download Free PHP Code Editors?
If you want to download a free PHP code editor, visit the site of any free tool on Google. Then find out the tool extension, download it, and run it on your computer system. There are no other options, the installer is very simple.
5. Is Visual Studio code editor good for PHP?
Visual Studio Code is one of the best code editors for PHP development. It offers various features like bracket matching, syntax highlighting, color theme picker, smart code completion (IntelliSense), snippets, and more. All these functionalities are out of the box and more can be added to this list by the community that created VS Code extensions.
Leave a message...
Indeed, excellent content and a very valuable blog. Thank you for putting together this list of the best IDEs and visual editors for PHP! Your contribution to the Web developer's community will undoubtedly be helpful. Keep up the great work. Thank you for sharing this!
This is a fantastic piece of writing! I liked how you mentioned in detail about PHP IDEs and code editors. As a web developer, my favourite text editors are Notpad++ and Sublime Text because of their simplicity and user friendly environment. Continue to share useful information. Thanks!
I am a web developer for the last several years. I am developing web apps in PHP and I am so confused about which code editor to use. Now after reading this blog, I have cleared all my doubts. Thank you editor for this amazing post. Kudos
Indeed a great piece of article! Really appreciated the way you mentioned PHP code editors in depth. Visual Code Editor and Sublime Text are two of my favorites. Keep sharing valuable info. Thanks!
Really Awesome Article! I have been searching these types of valuable information since days, Keep writing and sharing more! Kudos!
Hello Author, It is an awesome post! Thanks for sharing this blog regarding PHP code editors. There is huge demand of PHP nowadays and your blog is very helpful for that. You see everytime I read your blog I happen to find something new. You always surprise me! There is always an outstanding informations are there in your posts. Eagerly looking for more related posts like this. Cheers!
Hey, Thanks for putting these 10 free code editors all together. It looks worth the read. I would personally like to recommend you all to use aptana and sublime text editor. Based on your article, I think we must give special attention to Atom, it is really easy to use. Thanks for a wonderful read. Keep writing! Cheers!
Indeed a great article with nice collection. Thank you so much for sharing the list! Your content will surely help our develpers community. Keep up the good work. Thanks for Sharing!
Thank you for publishing, I truly enjoy your work, keep it up.
Ꭼxcellent post. I'm experiencing sоme of these iѕsues as well..
My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of thhe costs. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using Movable-type on various websites for about a year and am anxious about switching to another platform. I have heard very good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into it? Any help would be really appreciated!
Hey ᴠery nice blog!
Appreciate the recommendation. Will try it out.
First time visiting your website, I like your web site!
Should have put links next to each editor.
Yes, it's already added in the description part.
tҺe website іѕ really good, I love your blog!
Thanks a lot Beverley.
Saved as a favorite!, I like it!
Thanks a lot.
Bookmarked!, I love your blog!
Glad to hear this. Thanks
The blog is absolutely fantastic! Lot of great information which can be helpful about benefits of developing website. Keep updating the blogs.
Thanks a lot for your comment. Cheers!!