eTatvasoft is a web, eCommerce and mobile app development company which offers high-end technology solutions to the clientele across the globe. Our expert team of...
Codeigniter vs Laravel: Which PHP Framework to Choose
This article is everything you require if you’re indecisive between Laravel and CodeIgniter. To make an intelligent choice that is most appropriate for your project’s objectives, you must have a thorough understanding of both Frameworks. This blog provides an in-depth comparison of two popular PHP frameworks, CodeIgniter and Laravel.
By the conclusion of this post, you’ll understand the basic principle and the key differences between Laravel and Codeigniter. Additionally, you’ll gain insight into when to use each framework.
Table of Content
- Brief Overview About Laravel and Codeigniter Frameworks
- What is Laravel?
- What is CodeIgniter?
- Popular Websites Built on Laravel and CodeIgniter
- Codeigniter vs Laravel: A Detailed Comparison
- When to Use Laravel and CodeIgniter for Development
- Codeigniter vs Laravel: Which one is Better?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Laravel vs Codeigniter
1. Brief Overview About Laravel and Codeigniter Frameworks
When it concerns developing online applications for corporations and organizations, the PHP framework is frequently cited as the optimal solution. PHP is a very preferred option for backend programmers since it enables the creation of customized solutions. PHP frameworks are critical since they accelerate the web development processes. Stability and simplicity can be considered as hidden assets and the prime reason why many Laravel developers in India prefer the PHP scripting language.
Having said that, there are various PHP frameworks accessible nowadays that are extremely popular among the industry. Among them are Laravel and Codeigniter, two popular PHP frameworks.
However, while we go into the detailed assessment, let’s take a quick look at Laravel and Codeigniter.
2. What is Laravel?
Laravel is an open-source web application framework, developed by Taylor Otwell, it is a very popular PHP framework because of its ability to handle server side routing, HTML authentication and SaaS features.
Well, the popularity of the open source PHP framework, in particular, does not require any justifications, still features like good routing, migrations support, easy authentication, blade template engine is worth mentioning. Other than developing web applications, choosing Laravel development services will also result in well-documentation.
Laravel has expressive and accurate programming language rules which makes it one of the most reliable web frameworks. You can get access to its source code from GitHub under the MIT license. But why should you use it for your upcoming web projects?
The Laravel PHP framework technology comes with a version control system that helps you manage migrations, and a composer-based dependency manager in modular extension packaging. Laravel also provides robust web development features like a Blade templating engine, eloquent ORM, modernized ActiveRecord Implementation, and more.
Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and many more DBMS platforms are supported by the Laravel framework. It also helps web developers to enable a code-line interface to support artisan commands. Laravel is best for complete documentation of the project. The auto-loading functionality of the mvc framework allows you to avoid manual maintenance and inclusion paths. Laravel also supports data validation, database schema migration and inbuilt modularity features for php developers.
Some of the most intimidating features include:
- An MIT license framework following MVC architecture
- The application code is easily available on the GitHub
- Simple to utilizing Modular extension packaging and Blade templating engine
- Built-in Caching & inbuilt Authentication Mechanism
- Integrating with third-party component libraries is no big deal
- Session management can be controlled in an effective manner
- Better IO capabilities
What makes businesses choose Laravel Web App Development in India? Well for that matter, not one, not two, but we can mention three compelling reasons.
- Admin panel generator – An effective online presence requires a strong admin panel and nothing works better than this technology as by using simple and elegant toolkit such as Voyager, Laraadmin, or orchid. Laravel Developers can easily generate an admin panel in a couple of minutes.
- eCommerce packages – Bagisto and AvoRed are the most recommendable ecommerce web platforms while building with drag and drop processes an eCommerce website, the way we do in WordPress. Moreover, you can choose a reliable Laravel development company in India which not only knows but is willing to share all the ins and outs of the framework.
- SEO packages – Laravel Meta manager, SEOable, October CMS, SEOTools, Laravel-SEO, Asgard CMS, AutoMeta, Laravel CMS, etc, with so many Laravel SEO packages businesses, can expect a sudden increase in the site visit and rankings.
- Laravel Lazy Collection: This Laravel Lazy Collection is developed to help Laravel Applications to use low memory while working with Large Databases.
Other than this, Laravel is highly recommended for building web apps for enterprises or B2B websites that keep on evolving with the changing web trends.
1. Laravel Web Framework Pros
- Due to its high-end availability of libraries, better documentation can take place
- All the security requirements are adhered while creating modern and dynamic websites.
- The Laravel framework makes things better when creating an enterprise solution.
- Business solutions can be created for relational objects and organized structure.
- It follows a relational object oriented mechanism and makes robust application development easier.
2. Laravel Web Framework Cons
- Query Builder and elegant ORM inconsistencies
- Unfortunately, Laravel web apps don’t import legacy systems well.
- Heavily bloated codes
3. What is CodeIgniter?
CodeIgniter is a PHP framework, developed by EllisLab in 2006 for creating dynamic websites. It also supports custom codeigniter extensions which helps backend developers to develop websites without hassle.
The main objective behind its inception was to scale up the procedures for all the new and experienced CodeIgniter developers by providing a rich set of libraries for common tasks. This platform provides a friendly interface to access the libraries. One of the obvious benefits of using this one in comparison to Laravel is that it minimizes the amount of code needed for a given task.
Apart from large web applications, this framework is highly recommendable for shared hosting accounts or when developers are looking for something with a small footprint. Unlike Laravel, CodeIgniter isn’t a strict follower of the MVC architectural pattern but it does assist in implementing complex functionalities by allowing the addition of third-party plugins.
Some of the most intimidating features include:
- As far as security is concerned, it offers advanced security and XSS filtering
- The framework is extremely light and keeps the Data transmission secure.
- Search-engine friendly URLs
- Session management and inbuilt class support for calendar, template engine, and inbuilt unit testing tool.
- Error logging and image manipulation library
Why should businesses consider project development in CodeIgniter?
- Being a clear and well-structured framework, it becomes way easier to document things.
- Simple routing method
- Better stability and support
- Allows caching of the website
- Enhanced performance due to easier loading times.
On and all, web developers prefer CodeIgniter because it is best suited for creating lightweight applications especially the ones which don’t require maintenance and support in the future.
1. What is the future scope of Codeigniter?
The swift modification feature of the reliable PHP framework Codeigniter has made sure that various businesses out there can attain visible growth along its journey from basic to the latest version of development technology. It not only saves you considerable time from coding but also runs everything throughout the framework.
Though it has a lower learning curve, web developers can smartly transform its extensive library into monetizing functions. Even a simple rest APis is created using PHP and Codeigniter. And you know what else is praiseworthy from this PHP framework? Its security.
2. CodeIgniter Pros
- Storage requirements only include 256 MB
- Best suited for executing fast and small-scale applications or personal websites
- Easy to learn and fast enough to master
- Integrated command line tool
- Advanced query builder mechanism
3. CodeIgniter Cons
- No global template structure and a small library offering
- Future maintenance could be severe pain in the head. Also, the chances of rewriting the codes are many.
- Modular packaging separation is not being supported here.
Now, after gaining some deep insights into both frameworks, let us understand some differences between them before one can make a final decision.
4. Popular Websites Built on Laravel and CodeIgniter
Some of the popular websites that use Laravel Framework include Startups, Yulair, Fox47, Laracasts, Bonappetour, Toyota Hall of Fame, Explore Georgia, Global Dietary Database.
Other Popular websites that are built using CodeIgniter include Casio, The Mail & Guardian, Feedcump, Nissan, Buffer, McClatchy, Creditflux, Bonfire.
5. Codeigniter vs Laravel: A Detailed Comparison
|Overall Structure||Following the MVC pattern, Laravel is also well-equipped with a command-line tool named Artisan.||Even though CodeIgniter adapts MVC to provide a prompt response, the overall structure is based on object-oriented programming. CodeIgniter developers can use the platform as per their requirements.|
|Popularity||Laravel is at its peak right now. The aforementioned facts and figures say it all.||Due to its ease of use in the 2. x CodeIgniter framework isn’t that behind. Sooner or later it will catch up the lead.|
|Support for REST APIs||Hire Laravel developers without wasting any time can manufacture an assortment of REST APIs||On the other hand, CodeIgniter does not facilitate streamlining the development of REST APIs.|
With a plethora of in-built modularity features, Laravel experts can easily break down the project into smaller chunks that can be worked upon independently.
Unfortunately, you won’t find such features in CodeIgniter so as an expert you have no other option than to create full modules and maintain them promptly.
|Support of other DBMS|
ORACLE, IBM DB2, Postgrrientdb, Microsoft SQL Server, JDBC, and MYSQL, compatible
MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, and Microsoft BI.
Here Laravel offers many additional built in modularity features that might be difficult for beginners to grasp.
Beginners might find the framework easy to learn and use.
6. When to Use Laravel and CodeIgniter for Development
That’s pretty obvious! The answer depends on what you need or what is the basic requirement of your project. For example, do you require ORM/PDO or logging, unit testing, database management, template engine, mail, encryption, RESTful API, Multilingual, form-validation? In case, your project requirement includes 20-40% of the requirements mentioned then go for CodeIgniter whereas if the project requires all of them then consider no further than Laravel development.
We being a reliable Laravel development company in India are capable enough of offering everything that your project needs irrespective of the industry.
7. Codeigniter vs Laravel: Which one is Better?
Laravel and Codeigniter development frameworks are helpful in their unique way. Both of them have their community of developers to support. They are both equally prominent PHP frameworks and can fulfill specific business requirements. They both have their relevance and benefits that make them reliable.
For example, Codeigniter is easy to learn and beginner-friendly whereas, on the other hand, Laravel is a tough one to grasp but it offers a wide range of features and functions that can solve your complicated challenges with ease.
Both the frameworks are best in their way; choosing one thoroughly depends on your development requirements. Smaller solutions can be expected from CodeIgniter whereas Laravel surely leads to the creation of solutions that consider the board, long view. So that’s all for now! Keep watching the space to know more regarding the same.
8. Frequently Asked Questions on Laravel vs Codeigniter
1. Which is better: CodeIgniter or laravel?
Both frameworks have unique abilities. Laravel offers an elegant and modest tool kit for the developers to build robust applications in no time. It also has one of the most graceful coding patterns. Whereas Codeigniter is more suitable for managing small projects and clear documentation. Both frameworks are proficient in fulfilling their part to meet the client’s business demands.
2. Which PHP framework is the fastest Codeigniter or Laravel?
According to Google Trends Report, the advanced features of Laravel enables it to build apps at a faster pace in comparison to the coding patterns of the Codeigniter. Although the apps built using Codeigniter work faster than the others. Because the laravel is to build enterprise applications and Codeigniter to develop small and medium-scale PHP apps with minimum setup.
3. What is the major difference between laravel and CodeIgniter?
We already covered most of the parts in this blog but the major difference between them is that Laravel is a relational object-oriented programming framework whereas Codeigniter is just an object-oriented framework. It is also important to note that Laravel offers built-in authentication class features whereas it isn’t available in Codeigniter.
4. Which PHP framework is best for beginners: CodeIgniter or laravel?
Laravel can be a little complicated for beginners so it’s best for them to explore Codeigniter first and then if they want, they can venture on to Laravel. Codeigniter is straightforward in comparison to laravel and has a lower learning curve. Laravel consists of advanced tools and features that make it more challenging to learn, i.e. more time.
5. Laravel vs. CodeIgniter: Which is more significant?
The significance of the technology framework depends on the requirements of the project. Then and only then the developers could ripe their benefits. One should move forward in the project keeping them as references. But with its more polished code patterns, modernized components, and features, I will say that Laravel might have some edge over CodeIgniter.
Leave a message...
Worth Reading this blog! Both the Frameworks have their own pros and cons but Laravel is becoming more and more popular for building web apps because of its open-source nature. Cheers!
This is a standard version comparison post. We hope this will help you.